College Operational Policy
|Policy Number:||ADMIN 102||Policy Title:||Smoke-Free Campus|
|Supersedes Existing Policy?||Y||Policy Owner:||President’s Office|
|Associated Procedure:||N||Date Last approved by the CET:||January 18, 2023|
|Next Review Date:||January 18, 2025|
1. Introduction and Purpose
Loyalist College is dedicated to providing and maintaining a safe, healthy and productive environment for students, employees and the College community. As a part of its commitment to health and wellness, Loyalist College will encourage responsible choices by raising awareness of the harmful effects of smoking and offering support through cessation programs.
The purpose of this policy is to provide a smoke-free learning and working environment for the College community, in accordance with the Smoke-Free Ontario Act, 2017 and other applicable legislation. Specifically, the policy:
- Aims to establish measures that offer protection from second-hand smoke and vapour.
- Communicates restrictions regarding smoking, vaping (e.g., e-cigarettes also known as vapes), and the use of cannabis.
- Identifies tobacco and smoking cessation supports available to Loyalist employees and students.
- Promotes a smoke-free lifestyle and smoking/vaping cessation.
This policy applies to all Loyalist College employees, students, visitors, independent contractors, leasehold tenants and the general public, including any group or persons renting or using College facilities (note that College facilities include parking lots, College-owned or rented/leased vehicles, and personal vehicles while on College property).
3. Policy Statement
The decision to smoke tobacco, use vaping products or cannabis is a personal one; however, use of any of these substances while at the College has the potential to affect oneself and others in a negative way. The use of these products is therefore prohibited on all College property.
College Community – For the purposes of this policy, the College community refers to all Loyalist College employees, students, visitors, independent contractors, leasehold tenants and the general public, including any group or persons renting or using College facilities.
College Property − Any land boundary owned and controlled, or leased, by Loyalist College, inclusive of buildings on the Belleville and Bancroft campuses and Port Hope satellite location. College property also includes all student residence buildings and parking lots.
College Vehicle – Any vehicle owned by the College and/or rented, leased and/or licensed on a short-term or long-term basis by the College and/or any other consignment/assignment of such a vehicle to the College.
Smoking − Inhaling, exhaling, burning, or carrying any lighted or heated cigar, cigarette, pipe, or any other lighted or heated tobacco or plant product intended for inhalation, including hookahs (water pipe) and cannabis, whether natural or synthetic, in any manner or in any form.
Vaping – Inhaling or exhaling vapour from an electronic cigarette (e-cigarette or vapes) or holding an activated e-cigarette, regardless of whether or not the vapour contains nicotine.
5. Indigenous and Sacred Medicines
The traditional burning of sacred medicines that form a part of Indigenous culture and heritage is exempt from the Smoke-Free Campus policy. The College recognizes that tobacco is an integral part of cultural ceremonies, cultural research and requests for guidance, knowledge or knowledge sharing; therefore, it may be burned on campus in accordance with the Smoke-Free Ontario Act, 2017, S. 19, Traditional Use of Tobacco by Indigenous Persons.
- 6.1 Smoking and vaping are prohibited at all times inside any College-owned or leased facility.
- 6.2 Smoking and vaping are prohibited on all campuses of the College and on the grounds of any leased facilities that are within the control of the College.
- 6.3 The use of electronic smoking devices (e.g., e-cigarettes or vapes) is prohibited wherever smoking is prohibited and is subject to the same restrictions as cannabis and tobacco.
- 6.4 Smoking tobacco and/or tobacco products is prohibited in any vehicle, whether a personal vehicle or College-owned vehicle, while on College property.
- 6.5 Guidelines regarding the use of medical marijuana are covered in the OHS 017 Fit to Work and STUD 204 Fit to Learn policies and procedures.
- 6.6 This policy will not contravene or supersede any federal, provincial or municipal laws.
Loyalist College expects the College community to act in good faith in complying with the Smoke-Free Campus policy. Education and redirection will be the main form of enforcement for one-time incidents of smoking on campus.
Those who repeatedly choose not to comply with the Smoke-Free Campus policy may be subject to the following:
- Students – action aligning to the Student Code of Conduct will be taken by the appropriate party
- Employees – action as outlined in administrative guidelines and/or collective agreements will be taken by People & Culture
- Contractors – may be reported to the parent company, or be grounds for disciplinary action
- Clients and visitors – may be asked to leave the campus
College Security is responsible for enforcing the non-compliance of this policy.
To ensure all staff can enjoy our outdoor green space, Security will strictly enforce the College’s Smoke-Free Campus Policy in the area north of the campus’s South Entrance/Exit up to the south wall of the Pioneer Building and westward through to Wallbridge-Loyalist Road. While the College will not be establishing a designated smoking area on campus, the grounds west of the north/south line created by parking lots P1 and P2, will otherwise not be monitored for the purpose of enforcement by Security.
8. Education and Support
The College demonstrates its commitment to health and wellness by providing smoking cessation assistance services through its Employee and Family Assistance Program for employees and the Loyalist Student Health Centre for students.
9. Related Document and Links
- Cannabis Act, 2018
- Smoke-Free Ontario Act, 2017
- Cannabis Statute Law Amendment Act, 2018