Credit Transfer and Exemptions

Credit Transfers and Exemptions

A transfer credit is awarded in recognition of credits earned from an external institution. Students must submit a completed transfer credit or exemption application to the Pathways Coordinator or to their Program Coordinator. Not all transfer credit requests will be approved. 

An exemption is assigned in recognition of academic credit deemed by the College to be sufficiently similar to the program curriculum to warrant an exemption. There is no fee for exemptions. Students must submit a completed transfer credit or exemption application to the Pathways Coordinator or to their Program Coordinator.

Here’s how it works:

  • You must apply for transfer credits within the first 10 school days of the academic semester.
  • You will need to provide all supporting documents to your professor, including official transcripts, course outlines, and international credential evaluation (WES or ICAS) for courses from non-Canadian institutions.
  • It is the student’s responsibility to fill out the application correctly and provide proper documentation when applying. Incomplete or incorrect applications will be denied. 
  • Courses that are approved for transfer credit are listed on your academic transcripts but are not calculated in your program weighted average.
  • Generally, transfer credits are only granted for credits obtained within seven years of the request.
  • Students may not receive transfer credit for more than 75 percent of a program’s requirements.
  • Transfer credits will not be added to the student’s record until the student has registered at the College.
  • Loyalist College holds the right to deny any transfer credits or exemptions. Not all applications will be approved. 
  • Students from Loyalist’s main campus and Distance Studies can apply for Transfer credit and Exemptions. Students from Loyalist’s Toronto campus must contact Director of Enrolment Services, Roni Srdic at before applying for an exemption or transfer credit. 
  • Please note that by dropping courses through transfer credits or exemptions, you may affect your full time status and funding.

You can find a list of previously assessed exemptions and transfer credits below. For previously assessed courses, we only require the official transcript and transfer credit or exemption application

Credit Transfer and Exemptions Search


For more information on our transfer credit processes and policies, please review the Transfer Credit and Exemption FAQ or email