Available as a one-year program
One-year Ontario College Certificate
Find your career
A certificate in Media Experience will prepare you for further studies at Loyalist. Explore your options while learning skills that can be applied in your chosen diploma program:
- Broadcasting – Radio
- Interactive Media Development – Animation and Game Development
- Interactive Media Development – Film and Television Production
- Journalism – Communications
Is it for you?
This program is designed for students with an interest in media, arts and design, who may be:
- Recent high school graduates who are unsure what career path to follow.
- Mature applicants seeking a career change.
- Applicants who want to explore their choices before committing to a diploma program.
- College students looking for a change of program.
What faculty members say
“Photojournalism is like a loaf of bread and you can find your specialty slice, we expose students to all of it. Media Experience shows all the loaves of bread in the bakery. It allows students to get to know the faculty, experience what they’re going to be doing and gain confidence. It gives them a head start.”
Coordinator and Professor, Photojournalism
Get a hands-on, creative introduction to media that will lead you to a career you will love:
- Balance your time between the lab and the classroom, working on a range of media-based projects.
- Get practical experience in design, visual and oral storytelling, media writing and presentation.
- Observe, practise and implement new skills each week, sampling a buffet of media and design-related activities.
- Work with cutting-edge technology in Loyalist’s Digital Media Centre.
- Get hands-on practise with video recording, Photoshop and state-of-the-art editing equipment.
- Learn from industry guest speakers and faculty in various programs.
Outstanding faculty make the difference
- Students build strong connections with professors who are committed to helping each student find their path.
- Media Experience faculty all still work in their industry and draw from a wide range of professional experience in radio, TV and video production, web design, art direction, magazine writing, digital art and illustration, commercial and voice acting, printmaking, sales and marketing.
Turn your certificate into a diploma
A certificate in Media Experience prepares students for diploma studies at Loyalist, with the potential to earn assignment or course exemptions. Sample a full range of programs in media. Discover strengths and possibilities, while developing a solid set of practical skills that can be applied to further study in the following programs:
How much will it cost?
Approximate costs (2019 – 20)
- Domestic Tuition: $2,722.08
- Full-Time Ancillary Fees:* $1,301
- Total: $4,023.08
Additional costs, such as supplies, travel and parking, may be incurred during workplace visits, etc.
*Please visit the Tuition and Fees web page for a list of the many services, activities and items included within the ancillary fees, and the related policies.
Bursaries and financial assistance
Loyalist has a number of scholarships, bursaries and academic awards available to students. Our Financial Aid Office can help you explore your options, or assist you with a student loan.
Required academic preparation
- OSSD/OSSGD or equivalent with courses at the general, advanced, (C), (U) or (M) level, and
- Grade 12 English (C) level or equivalent
- Many jobs in the media, and some field placements, require a valid driver’s licence. Students are encouraged to get a driver’s licence and maintain a clean driving record.
Prior learning assessment and recognition
Applicants with work experiences or other types of non-credentialed learning may be eligible for credits at Loyalist. Graded credits (as opposed to exemptions) are granted. Click here for more information about our assessment and credit challenge process.
Click here for information about how to apply, international student fees and more.
Start This January at Loyalist College
Why wait until September when you can start the New Year training for a rewarding career?
January start programs at Loyalist College are an excellent opportunity to retrain, build on current creden... Read More
How to Make Gluten-Free Pasta & Lasagna with Sue
An instructional video by Sue Jennett
How to Open a Door
Quinte Film Alternative
See more student work at mediaexperience.ca