Wellness and Leadership Training
Introducing: Leadership and Wellness
Wellness and Leadership training is designed to provide Loyalist College students an opportunity to grow and develop in Leadership and Wellness. Through a series of workshops, seminars, and training opportunities, students can enrol via registration links from our website or from LinkedIn Self-Discovery pathways (TBA). This optional, non-academic learning will be tracked and combined with limited experiences and reflection, students will be recognized for their participation.
The Pathway. Discover-Experience-Reflect
Although we encourage all students to engage in as many of our learning opportunities as possible, to be eligible for recognition students must engage in the following;
- Students must complete at least four learning opportunities (a maximum of two which can be linked in Self-Discovery).
- Students must highlight at least 3 hours of “experiences” outside of these learning opportunities, related to either Leadership or Wellness.
- These experiences could be volunteer roles or participation in leadership or wellness-related programming. The important thing is that this experience provides you an opportunity to put some of your learning into practice.
- The final stage of our pathway is a reflection. Once the Discover and Experience part of the pathway is completed, we ask students to choose an opportunity to reflect on their learning journey. This can be submitted as a written email, a short PowerPoint, or even a 1 – 2min video. This reflection does not need to be comprehensive; the goal is for you to provide a brief reflection of your Leadership or Wellness journey!
- When students believe they have completed the pathway requirements they can submit their personal reflection to Ryan Stoness ( email@example.com) to review eligibility for recognition.
How Does it Work?
For any student who just wants to participate in the exciting learning opportunities, they are listed each semester with registration links. Registered students for each session will be sent links (some sessions are virtual) and/or information about the learning 1 week prior to the sessions. Most learning experiences are free of charge for registered students, but some certifications do have minimal costs. We ask that students be committed to the learning opportunities as many have limited numbers.
When you have completed the necessary four learning opportunities in any pathway (Leadership or Wellness), students can email Ryan Stoness ( firstname.lastname@example.org) to review eligibility for recognition. In this email, you can highlight your 3 hours of “experience” and include your reflection in any form you wish. Students who have completed the pathway will be rewarded at the end of each semester.
Winter 2022 Discovery Options
Sign up to participate in the Mental Health First Aid certification. Students must engage in pre-work and be available to participate in the training for the entire day. Mental Health First Aid is an important certification for anyone planning to work in health care, social work or supports, recreation, or justice studies and will be limited to 15 students/session.
Saturday, February 26, 9 am - 4 pm – Register
Wednesday, March 2, 9 am - 4 pm – Register
Saturday, March 26, 9 am - 4 pm – Register
Learn how to properly recognize behaviours that place someone at high risk of drug overdose, review proper naloxone training and receive free naloxone kits.
Thursday, February 17, 4 - 5 pm (virtual) – Register
Thursday, March 3, 10 - 11 am (on campus) – Register
Thursday, April 7, 6 - 7 pm (virtual) – Register
Join us in learning how to become an active bystander and create a safe, respectful community from sexual and relationship violence. This 2.5 hr training is free and participants will receive a free t-shirt and mug.
Wednesday, February 16, 1 - 3:30 pm – Register
Thursday, March 3, 11:30 am - 2:00 pm – Register
Recipe for Resiliency is 1.5hr free exploration into the value of stress and the importance of building our capacity to bounce back from difficult experiences.
Monday, April 4, 1 pm – Register
Join for a 1hr conversation about finding your purpose and passion in life. This session includes tips and strategies to live at your best, improve your focus and maximize your productivity.
Tuesday, February 15, 10 am – Register
Join for a 1 hr conversation about tips and strategies to live at your best.
Thursday, February 24, 10 am – Register
Want to learn tips and strategies on how to give game changing presentations? Join us!
Tuesday, March 8, 12 pm – Register
Learn strategies on how to improve your focus and maximize your productivity in this 1hr presentation.
Thursday, March 17, 12 pm – Register
Tips and strategies on expanding friendships and learning to set health boundaries
Wednesday, March 9, 6 pm – Register
Sign-up by February 25 to enrol in this 1 - 2 hr self-care certificate.
Self-Paced Certificate – Register
Sign-up by February 25 to enrol in this 1 - 2 hr "Caring for Others" certificate.
Self-Paced Certificate – Register