Fitness and Health Promotion
Available as a two-year program
Two-year Ontario College Diploma
- Start Date
September and January entry
Find your career
Qualified fitness and health professionals find rewarding positions:
- Health clubs, community recreation and fitness centres, military bases, corporations, community health promotion programs, cruise ships, resort destinations and through self-employment.
- Grads are well prepared to obtain nationally recognized certification with the Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology as Certified Personal Trainers.
- Graduates may obtain industry-recognized High Five certification in leadership and coaching required to work with day camps and children's programs.
Our grads get great jobs
- Fitness and Sports Instructor, Canadian Forces Base
- Fitness Programmer, Quinte Sports and Wellness Centre
- Fitness Consultant, Granite Club
- Personal Fitness Trainer, YMCA
- General Manager, GoodLife Fitness
- Fitness Facility Coordinator, Madawaska Valley Fitness Centre
- Owner, Private Fitness Studio
Is it for you?
Do you have what it takes to turn an active lifestyle into a career? This is a great program for people who:
- Are committed to a healthy lifestyle
- Enjoy motivating others to achieve their goals
- Possess keen observational skills
- Are energetic and like working with people
- May be interested in science and human physiology
Connect with @LoyalistRecFit on X to stay up-to-date with events, program information and industry opportunities.
In this hands-on program you will develop confidence and expertise in designing and implementing fitness programs for both individuals and groups:
- Learn to accurately assess health and fitness levels, evaluate progress and develop exercise prescriptions tailored to meet the interests and lifestyle goals of every client.
- Train and teach in Loyalist’s newly renovated on-campus Fitness Centre and program-dedicated fitness lab.
- Gain applied knowledge of anatomy and physiology, kinesiology, exercise prescription, nutrition, chronic disease prevention and entrepreneurship and marketing.
- Network with guest speakers who are industry professionals in fitness and wellness.
- Assist and develop programs for personal training clients at the College.
- Earn 320 hours of industry experience in two field placements.
Outstanding faculty make the difference
- Learn with registered kinesiologists, exercise physiologists and personal trainer examiners who have experience working with elite athletes, cardiac rehab patients, children with special needs, and people of all ages and abilities in between.
- A wide network of current industry contacts connects students with placements and jobs.