In 2023, the Schulich Foundation launched Canada’s largest skilled trade scholarship program, Schulich Builders. This game-changing program dedicated to students in the skilled trades has committed more than $3 million in its first year of operation to combat labour shortages and highlight the importance of skilled trades in Canada.
In addition to financial support, Schulich Builders provides leadership training and mentorship to set up graduates for success.
Schulich Builders covers tuition, tools and living expenses for students enrolling in a skilled trades program. Loyalist College will award ten scholarships per year:
- Five $20,000 scholarships for one-year certificate programs, and
- Five $40,000 scholarships for two-year diploma programs.
Priority will be given to students nominated by their high school, however, students can also apply directly through Loyalist College.
Application deadline: June 30, 2023
The College is looking for responsible, hardworking, dedicated people who:
- Are Canadian citizens or permanent residents
- Meet College admission requirements
- Are enrolled in a full-time, eligible skilled trade one-year certificate or two-year diploma program at Loyalist starting in Fall 2023
The only requirement for recipients to keep their scholarship is that they pass each semester (no minimum average is required) and do not drop-out of the program or College during full-time study.
To be considered for the scholarship, students must:
- Exhibit a strong work ethic and character, as evidenced by one letter of recommendation by someone directly connected to the student (preferably, a high school staff member, employer, co-worker or community service organization)
- Demonstrate financial need
- Show willingness to act as an ambassador and promote their career choice in the skilled trades and the Schulich Builders program in high schools and community outreach.
- Carpentry and Renovation Techniques/Technician
- Civil Engineering Technician
- Construction Engineering Technician
- Electrical Techniques/Electrical Engineering Technician – Industrial
- Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Techniques/Technician
- Manufacturing Engineering Technician
- Mechanical Techniques
- Motive Power Fundamentals – Parts and Counter Personnel
- Motive Power Technician – Service and Management
- Survey Engineering Technician
- Welding Techniques/Welding and Fabrication Technician
To learn more about the application and selection process, please contact Lauren Scott, Awards Officer, at email@example.com.
Please upload/submit the following documents with your application:
- Headshot photo (png or jpg)
- Reference letter
- Provincial funding assessment summary (if applicable) OR this completed Financial Overview document
- Short essay outlining why you should receive the scholarship (150 words maximum) – please submit via text field below
About The Schulich Foundation
The Schulich Foundation is one of Canada’s largest foundations, having donated in excess of $350 million. Seymour Schulich established and funded The Schulich Foundation. He holds Canada’s highest civilian award, the Order of Canada, and is among Canada’s greatest philanthropists. Having benefited greatly from a scholarship that enabled him to do his MBA, Mr. Schulich has built a well-earned reputation as a champion for education and access to education in Canada and around the world. The Schulich Foundation has endowed university faculties of business, engineering, medicine, law, education, music, chemistry, nursing and dentistry; libraries, dormitories, courtyards, medical health centers, lecture and music halls. Over 6,000 scholarships are awarded annually to students in Schulich Schools.
The Foundation’s largest initiative is the $200 million Schulich Leaders Scholarship Program, spanning 25 universities across Canada and Israel, in support of students pursuing STEM education.