Natural Product Technologies
Available as a one-year program
One-year Ontario College Graduate Certificate
- Start Date
Find your career
Graduates are prepared to work in a range of roles in the evolving natural product sector including, but not limited to, the following:
- Natural product quality assurance manager
- Lead processing technician
- Formulation chemist
Is it for you?
You may be well suited for a career in the natural product industry if you:
- Are flexible and adaptable to change
- Possess strong math and science skills
- Seek out creative and innovative solutions to problems
- Are inquisitive and resourceful
- Have strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Enjoy working as part of a team and exploring new technologies
This hands-on program is delivered in collaboration with Loyalist’s Applied Research Centre for Natural Products and Medical Cannabis (ARC), Canada’s only College laboratory approved to conduct research with cannabis under the Narcotic Control Regulations, as listed on the Government of Canada’s website.
Develop the in-demand skills needed for success in the natural product industry through unparalleled training experiences:
- Study in a Health Canada licensed facility on advanced extraction technologies with an array of state-of-the art analytical instrumentation. A focus on green technologies, such as supercritical CO2 extraction, aligns with industry’s transition away from the use of petrochemical solvents.
- Learn how to apply a range of lab techniques for extraction and analysis to increase the quality, consistency and safety of natural products.
- Understand relevant legislations, regulations and guidelines pertaining to the natural product industry, and explore appropriate security and safety protocols.
- Apply your knowledge to real-world challenges through work-integrated learning (WIL) with Licensed Producers.
Expand your knowledge with a related graduate certificate
Turn your diploma into a degree
Many universities across Canada and abroad will provide credit recognition for your post-graduate studies at Loyalist College. Contact your university of choice to make individual arrangements. Click here for more information about university transfer agreements.
How much will it cost?
Approximate costs (2022 – 23)
- Domestic Tuition: $2,722.08
- Full-Time Ancillary Fees:* $1,462
- Total: $4,184.08
Additional costs, such as supplies, personal computer/laptop, travel and parking, may be incurred during workplace visits, etc.
*Fees related to programs that are less than or greater than two semesters will be adjusted accordingly. Fees are subject to change. Please visit the Tuition and Fees web page for a list of the many services, activities and items included within the ancillary fees, and the related policies.
Bursaries and financial assistance
Loyalist College has a number of scholarships, bursaries and academic awards available to students. Our Financial Aid Office can help you explore your options, or assist you with a student loan.
- Ontario College Diploma, Ontario College Advanced Diploma, Degree or equivalent in Biology, Chemistry, or a related sciences-based discipline.
- Proof of English proficiency.
- Applicants will also have to provide a recent and valid criminal record check in order to comply with Health Canada regulations and be eligible to work with cannabis. A recent and valid criminal record check will also be required by the Licensed Producers (LPs) who will be participating with the work practical component of this program.
Prior learning assessment and recognition
Applicants with work experiences or other types of non-credentialed learning may be eligible for credits at Loyalist. Graded credits (as opposed to exemptions) are granted. Click here for more information about our assessment and credit challenge process.
This program has a limited number of seats available for international students. Click here for information about how to apply, international student fees and more.
LOYALIST COLLEGE RECEIVES ITS FIRST MITACS ACCELERATE FUNDING AWARDS
Belleville, Ontario, March 9, 2021 – Loyalist College’s Applied Research Centre has received its first two Mitacs Accelerate funding awards totalling $30,000 to support an applied research project... Read More
LOYALIST COLLEGE STUDENT KATIE ILES AWARDED CICAN’S PAUL AND GERRI C...
Belleville, Ontario, December 16, 2020 – Loyalist College announced today that Colleges and Institutes Canada (CICan) has awarded Katie Iles, a Cannabis Applied Science student, with its Paul and G... Read More
LOYALIST COLLEGE AND NORTHEASTERN UNIVERSITY ANNOUNCEMENT
On Friday, December 6, Loyalist College and Northeastern University will announce a partnership designed to benefit Biosciences and Cannabis Applied Science students, and advance applied cannabis rese... Read More
LOYALIST COLLEGE TO LAUNCH CANADA’S FIRST TECHNOLOGY ACCESS CENTRE ...
Belleville, Ontario, June 13, 2019 – Loyalist College is the recipient of a $1,750,000 Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) College and Community Innovation (CCI) Prog... Read More
LOYALIST COLLEGE INTRODUCES CANADA’S FIRST CANNABIS APPLIED SCIENCE ...
Belleville, Ontario, April 19, 2018 – Loyalist College has launched an eight-month Cannabis Applied Science (CSGS) Ontario College post-graduate certificate program with funding approval by the Min... Read More
In the News
The Spark Magazine