Frequently Asked Questions

Updated May 2, 2022. If you have any questions that are not answered here, please email them to

Prevention & Risks

What are some of the symptoms associated with persons infected with COVID-19?

Symptoms include:

  • fever or chills
  • cough
  • shortness of breath
  • decreased or loss of taste or smell
  • two or more of:
    • runny nose or nasal congestion
    • headache
    • extreme fatigue
    • sore throat
    • muscle aches or joint pain
    • gastrointestinal symptoms (such as vomiting or diarrhea)

Who is eligible to receive a vaccination?

  • All Ontario residents 5+ are eligible to book a vaccine appointment through the provincial booking system or a local pharmacy, and we recommend students and employees get vaccinated as soon as possible. Online booking is encouraged. If you are unable to book online for yourself, please ask a friend or family member to book on your behalf. You will require your health card number. 
  • Staff and students will be able to get vaccinated at the College’s own immunization clinic through the Student Health Centre   

Are booster shots available?

  • Loyalist College students, faculty and staff are eligible to receive a COVID-19 booster shot at the Health Centre if it has been 168 days since their second dose.
    • Booster doses are being offered after 168 days based on evidence of gradual waning immunity six months after receiving their second dose, and a higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19.
  • If it has been 168 days since your second dose, you can call the Health Centre at (613) 969-1913 extension 2374 to make an appointment for your booster/third dose.
  • COVID-19 booster shots are available in the Health Centre during the week and our regional immunization clinic will continue to operate on campus over the weekend. 

Is the Belleville campus safe?

Loyalist College follows the direction of Public Health with regards to the closing/disinfecting specific areas/rooms or modifying on-campus activity.

Are there active cases on campus?

COVID-19 reporting on campus will cease on May 2, 2022. Should an employee/student have or suspect COVID-19, isolation requirements will be followed as per the current Public Health guidelines.
Antigen rapid test and booster shots are available to students and employees at the Health Centre. 

How do I help prevent the spread of illness?

By taking the following steps, you can help prevent the spread of illness in our community:

  • Monitor and screen yourself daily for symptoms of COVID-19. 
  • Stay home when you are sick, and avoid contact with other people until your symptoms are gone
  • Get your influenza vaccine and COVID-19 vaccine, if you have not already
  • Wash your hands frequently
  • Cough and sneeze into the bend of your arm, not into your hand
  • Avoid touching your nose, mouth or eyes with your hands
  • Clean objects and surfaces that a lot of people touch, such as doorknobs, phones and television remotes
  • Eat healthy foods and stay physically active to keep your immune system strong
  • Get plenty of rest or sleep
  • Do not share water bottles, straws, eating utensils, toothbrushes, or anything else that has been in contact with saliva

Where do I seek care and how?

Please assess your personal health and connect with the appropriate health care provider listed below.

  • Hastings Prince Edward Public Health
  • Health Care Provider, Walk-In Clinic or Loyalist Student Health Centre
    • If you have a fever, cough and/or shortness of breath, and have not recently travelled to one of the countries that have a travel health notice for COVID-19, seek medical care through your health care provider.
    • Health Centre services are being offered remotely. If you need medical advice and do not have a family physician, please email the Health Centre’s nurse, at
    • International has an app you can use to speak with a doctor. Please visit this web page for details.  
    • The Government of Ontario has provided helpful suggestions for self-assessing whether you may have COVID-19 and other options for accessing health care.
    • If you require support after hours, (Monday to Friday, after 4:30 pm; Saturday and Sunday) please visit the Bayview Medical Clinic – After Hours Walk-In Clinic (274 Dundas Street East, Belleville).
  • Quinte Health Care
    • Visit a Quinte Health Care emergency department (ED) if you have severe symptoms of respiratory illness such as difficulty breathing or shortness of breath when doing very little.
    • If you are seeking medical attention while at Quinte Health Care and are experiencing respiratory symptoms, put on a mask as soon as you arrive to help protect others.
    • If you are visiting the ED, advise health care providers of recent travel history immediately upon arrival.
  • 24/7 Help by Phone
    • Receive medical advice through Telehealth by phoning 1-866-797-0000.

The Government of Ontario has provided helpful suggestions for self-assessing whether you may have COVID-19 and other options for accessing health care.

I am feeling anxious and overwhelmed by all of the news media about the coronavirus. What can I do?

Coping with the challenges of this ongoing global health crisis can be difficult. We encourage you to seek accurate information and stay connected – but consider setting limits around social media and news. Learn more about the Student Services and mental wellness student supports available to you. We encourage you to reach out to our caring faculty and staff members, or your peers if you need someone to talk to. We are all here for you – and each other. 

Where can I get the flu shot?

You can get the flu shot at one of the following locations:

On-Campus Protocols

Loyalist College will lift its COVID-19 vaccination policy and masking requirements as of May 1, 2022.

The following updates to safety protocols on campus are in effect as of May 2, 2022.

Please note that these decisions are subject to change depending on the evolving pandemic situation and public health advice.

  • As there is no longer a mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination policy, proof will no longer be required to enter campus.
  • Face masks will no longer be required however, individuals may still choose to wear one if they’d like. The type of mask is up to the individual. Loyalist will continue to provide masks to those who wish, while supplies last.
  • You will not be required to complete the screening assessment on the PPA app anymore, however, students and employees are reminded to stay home if feeling unwell.
  • The Health Centre will continue to offer antigen rapid tests, and booster shots to students and employees.
  • Should an employee/student have or suspect COVID-19, isolation requirements will be followed as per the current Public Health guidelines.
  • COVID-19 reporting will cease.
  • Physical distancing is no longer required but individuals can choose to maintain their distance for their own comfort level.
  • There will no longer be a requirement to provide a safety plan for special events/activities.
  • There will be no further restrictions on visitors or notice needed for guests to enter campus.
  • There will no longer be COVID-related restrictions for eating/drinking in classrooms.

Masks and rapid test kits are available for students and staff and can be requested by contacting your Dean or manager.  

Please continue to practice good hygiene etiquette and be respectful to others as we recover from post-pandemic. Take a gentle approach and accept that we all move at different paces getting back to ‘normal.’

Academics, Classes, Tuition & Ancillary Fees

How will classes be delivered in the Spring semester?

Please visit the Spring 2022 Program Delivery page to reference the current delivery model for your program. Students are also strongly encouraged to monitor their Loyalist College email for additional updates regarding classes, changes to schedules, and course materials. Note: If you require on-campus housing as a result of changes to your program, please contact:

I’m struggling with online learning. How can I best succeed? 

We understand that transitioning to online learning is a difficult adjustment for many Loyalist students. Please connect with your faculty to communicate the challenges you’re experiencing. This will enable faculty to find an approach that best suits your situation. 

Where can I access information on the continuation of my program?

For specific information about the continuation of your program, please review the emails you received from your School/program faculty. If you have concerns or require clarification, please contact your program faculty or Dean.

What are the College’s guidelines regarding refunds to students? 

The College will not issue refunds for tuition for full-time post-secondary programs. We have taken steps to ensure all students can successfully meet the learning outcomes for their program of study. Students are receiving full-value for their tuition and the College is making extra investments to enable students to complete their programs in unanticipated circumstances. 

College Operations

Is the Belleville campus open?

The Belleville campus is open. More information about specific spaces and services is available here

What do I do if I don’t have access to the internet or a computer to work on my classes remotely?

For students who do not have access to the internet or a computer, necessary for the completion of your programs, the SAL is open Monday to Friday, 9 am – 5 pm. Please advise your Dean if you do not have access to a computer, required for your online studies.

Is there someone with whom I can connect to discuss my post-secondary options?

Prospective students can book an appointment to connect with an advisor or join us on campus for a tour. 

Loyalist will share details about future on-campus and virtual experiences through which prospective students can explore Loyalist’s programs, learning spaces, student life, student services and more through the College’s social media channels, InstagramTwitter and Facebook.

Are face masks required to be worn on campus?

As of May 2, 2022, face masks are no longer be required on campus. However, individuals may still choose to wear one if they’d like. The type of mask is up to the individual. Loyalist will continue to provide masks to those who wish, while supplies last.

Government Updates for Students

How much of your outside Canada studies count toward a post-graduation work permit?

Students can complete up to 100% of their studies online from outside Canada. All of the time spent studying online from outside Canada between spring 2020 and August 31, 2022, counts toward the length of a post-graduation work permit (PGWP). This applies even if students are completing two study programs.

For students completing two study programs, they can finish 100% of their studies online if the programs were ongoing or started between March 2020 and summer 2022, and

The following time won’t count toward the length of a PGWP:

  • time spent studying outside Canada after August 31, 2022
  • time spent studying before you applied for a study permit

I’m an international student and my temporary residence status will soon expire. What do I do?

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) advises international students who are in Canada to apply online to extend their status before it expires. In doing so, their period of authorized stay as a temporary resident will be extended by the regulatory provision is commonly referred to as ‘implied status.’ For details, visit the IRCC website if you want to stay in Canada longer.


Where do I access the Government of Canada’s current guidelines for travel?

For the most up-to-date information about travel requirements and guidelines, visit the Government of Canada website.

What are the approved COVID-19 vaccines in Canada?

  • Pfizer-BioNTech (Comirnaty, tozinameran, BNT162b2)
  • Moderna (mRNA-1273)
  • AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD (ChAdOx1-S, Vaxzevria, AZD1222)
  • Janssen/Johnson & Johnson (Ad26.COV2.S)
  • Novavax Nuvaxovid COVID-19 vaccine
  • Medicago Covifenz COVID-19 vaccine

What should I do if I tested negative for COVID-19, but I feel ill after arriving into Canada?

If symptoms develop, even if mild, or a positive test for COVID-19 is received once in Canada, travellers are advised to contact local public health authorities. Individuals must monitor for signs and symptoms of COVID-19 and submit information electronically through ArriveCAN.

What should I do if I recently travelled to an affected area?

Individuals are advised to review the Government of Canada’s rules for travelling to Canada, testing, quarantine and borders as authorities are constantly making adjustments once new COVID-19 pandemic information is received. Individuals who experience fever, cough or difficulty breathing should report their symptoms to their health care provider, Telehealth Ontario (available 24/7) at 1-866-797-0000, or local public health for further direction.

I’m an international student and want to travel to Canada to study, what do I need to do?

All students are required to register your travel plans with the International Centre. Students need to follow the steps outlined on the Travel to Canada web page, including submitting the online web form. Once the online web form submission is received, the International Team will provide the required travel documents.

About COVID-19

How is the Government of Canada responding to the coronavirus?

For updates, visit the Government of Canada’s website.

How is the Province of Ontario responding to the coronavirus?

For updates on restrictions and public health measures please visit Ontario’s COVID-19 web page.

How is the County of Hastings and Prince Edward responding to the coronavirus?

For updates, visit the Hastings and Prince Edward Public Health website.

Where can I access additional information and resources?